Thursday, November 09, 2006

Green Feet (Forwarded to me by a blog reader)






I love this kind of stuff. So a friend of mine that I had not spoke with in a while forwarded this to me, and asked that I put it up on the blog. Very cool story. Thanks Jen! Her husband flies HH-60s, the AF version of the Blackhawk and their primary mission is combat search and rescue. Green Feet is a nickname for the AF search and rescue community and the 6 toes is for the squadron (The 66th). Both the AFA and Notre Dame will be wearing these emblems on their helmets for this weekends game at Falcon Stadium. The story below spells out the meaning in more detail.

Subject: Green Feet

Since you are the only one I had contact with in the 66th RQS and
since you were so helpful in me tracking down the green feet logo, I
thought I would email you back to let you know what came of my project.
My brother, Gregg Lewis, was a member of the 66th and was killed in the
September 3rd crash outside of Nellis in 1998. Eleven other airmen
died in that crash. My father, Bill Lewis, is the assistant head
football coach at the University of Notre Dame, who travels to the Air
Force Academy on November 11th for a game between the two teams. As a
way to honor the men who were lost in that crash both teams have agreed
to wear the 6-toe green feet logo on the back of their helmets for that
game. I was hoping you could pass this information along to other
members of the 66th squadron. The helmet decal is meant to honor all
members of the 66th - those that continue to serve and those that have
died "so others may live."
The game
is scheduled to be televised by a local Colorado station - maybe you
guys will get the broadcast. Thank you again for your help.

No comments: